Dr. Richard Berman
Director of Entrepreneurship
Richard Berman is Visiting Social Entrepreneurship Professor at the MUMA College of Business, and a Courtesy Professor at the Institute for Innovation & Advanced Discovery.
A recognized global leader in public health, education and management, he has consulted for the Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, McKinsey & Company, and the government of Rwanda.
Richard served as President of Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY from 1995 to 2009 and is credited with turning the struggling college into a high-ranking liberal arts school. During his tenure at Manhattanville, he successfully increased both local and international student enrollment, established two new buildings, invested in better technology, and developed additional graduate programs, among other advancements.
Richard attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, receiving a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in 1966 and his MBA and MPH degrees in 1968. He holds an honorary Doctor of Laws from Manhattanville College and an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from New York Medical College.
IDS 6938 – Entrepreneurship with a Social Impact
- President of Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY from 1995 to 2009 and is credited with turning the struggling college into a high-ranking liberal arts school
- Commission on Advancement of Racial and Ethic Equality of the American Council on Education
- Division III President’s Council of NCAA, ProPAC
- New York State’s Commissioner’s Advisory Council on Higher Education
- Trustee of State University of New York (SUNY)
- Advisor to the Joint Special Representative of the African Union – United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) – the largest peacekeeping operation in the world
- Executive Vice President of New York University (NYU) Medical Center and Professor of Health Care Management at the NYU School of Medicine
- National Academy of Medicine, formerly the Institute of Medicine, at the National Academy of Sciences